What documents you need for the registry office and church

Welche Dokumente Sie für das Standesamt und Kirche benötigen

Table of contents

  1. What you need for the civil wedding ceremony.
  2. The right to name.
  3. What you need for the church wedding.
  4. What is the cost of the civil or church wedding.

Although a wedding is a dreamy and very romantic event, you can’t do it without paperwork and document work. You will need to fill out some forms for your wedding and prepare a lot of documents. It concerns both civil and church wedding ceremonies.

In the following article we would like to tell you what documents you need for the registry office. Which – for the church wedding ceremony. We will also briefly discuss the costs that you will incur. You will also get some info concerning the German law on names.

What you need for the civil wedding ceremony

Since January 1, 2009, it has been permitted in Germany for couples to marry in church without having previously entered into marriage at the registry office. In reality, however, this is only pure theory. In practice, the Church usually rejects this matter.
For you it means: You marry 2 times, first civil and afterwards also church; if you want it.
The marriage ceremony at the registry office is divided into 2 parts: the registration for the marriage and the marriage ceremony itself.
When registering for marriage, you must appear in person at the registry office.
Since 01.07.1998 in Germany it is up to you whether you want witnesses to your civil ceremony.
If you wish, you may name one or two witnesses to the marriage. However, you must keep in mind that the legislator imposes certain requirements on witnesses, namely that he must be of age, and in possession of his mental faculties.
Nowadays, the main task of the witnesses is to witness the marriage and to assist the couple.

For the civil marriage, it is easiest if you both:

  • live in this place where you want to get married;
  • are of age;
  • have German citizenship;
  • have not yet been married and have no children.

If all this applies to you, you will need the following documents to register for marriage

  • a valid identity card or passport;
  • biometric passport photo (for the new identity card or passport);
  • an extract from the family book of the parents;
  • a certificate of residence;
  • proof of the profession practiced or learned, e.g. a diploma, certificate from the place of work or a master craftsman’s certificate.

But there are deviations from the standard in which the bride and groom, for example:

  • Minors are. In this case, you need the consent of parents to get married.
  • Previous marriages had. In this case, you must provide marriage and divorce certificates from previous marriages.
  • Bring children into the marriage. If you have a child together, you must provide the child’s birth certificate. And from the groom is required a certificate acknowledging his paternity.

If either of you has a foreign citizenship, proof of citizenship will be required by the registrar’s office.

The right to a name

Today, German naming law is quite complicated. In the past, everything was much simpler: upon marriage, the wife automatically took her husband’s name and that was the end of the matter. This option still exists today, but there are other variations for your family name.

Common surname

For the joint surname, you can choose both the husband’s and the wife’s maiden names.
Different family names.
If you cannot agree on the same last name, you can both keep your own name that you had at the time of marriage. It can also be a name from the previous marriage.

Double name

You can also opt for a double name after marriage. This means that the partner whose name does not become the surname may prefix or append his or her own as a companion name.

Last name for children

The children can take the name of the father or the mother. If the parents have a common name, the children are also given this name at birth. A double name is not allowed as a birth name.

What you need for the church wedding ceremony

Very many bridal couples conclude their marriage not only at the registry office, but also get married in the church.
From the priest’s point of view, a church wedding is not only a beautiful custom, but first and foremost a sacred act that has a deep meaning. The pastor or priest makes it a point to convey this attitude to the bride and groom. Although the church wedding is a very romantic ceremony, it is not possible without paperwork.

For the dew in the Catholic Church you need the following documents:

  • ID card;
  • Baptismal certificate and a certificate that you are single;
  • The Confirmation Certificate;
  • Marriage certificate or a certificate of registration for marriage from the registry office.

For the Protestant wedding ceremony you will need:

  • ID card;
  • Baptism certificate of both partners;
  • The confirmation certificate;
  • The marriage certificate or certificate of registration for marriage from the registry office.
  • Identity card
  • Baptism certificate of both partners
  • Confirmation and confirmation certificate.
  • Marriage certificate or the certificate of registration for marriage.

Ecumenical wedding

If one of you belongs to the Catholic Church, and the other – to the Protestant, you do not necessarily have to choose one denomination, but you can find a middle way: ecumenical wedding. The ecumenical wedding ceremony will be officiated by both pastors.

For the ecumenical wedding ceremony you need:

  • What is the cost of the civil or church wedding.
  • The civil and church wedding ceremonies must also be paid for.
  • The fees for the civil wedding differ from place to place, but are not too high.
  • You do not need to pay anything officially for the church blessing. The church would be grateful for a donation after all.